Sunday, December 25, 2011

Then & Now

Then & Now
Moi circa 2001
December 2001
Ten years ago I had just come back from a Hillel conference in Washington DC. I remember feeling a renewed commitment to Judaism, as well as excitement about my future involvement in the Jewish community at the University of Florida. At the same time, I was studying to become an English teacher, enjoying the company of new friends, and exploring a relationship with this really cute TA of mine. I went home (Orlando, FL) to spend the holidays with my family and then went to NYC to celebrate my grandmother’s 85th birthday.


December 2011
Reunited with Rabbi Andy, 2011
Life, in many ways, has come full circle. I just came back from the Union for Reform Judaism Biennial in Washington DC, where I enjoyed the company of new friends and experienced a renewal in my commitment to Judaism. It reenergized me to do my newish job as the Community Relations Coordinator for the Columbia Jewish Federation, a type of job I wanted to do after grad school but ultimately forwent in lieu of a teaching career and a life with that cute TA, with whom I celebrated my sixth wedding anniversary last week. I thought the ship of professional involvement in the Jewish community had long sailed, but, as the saying goes, it’s apparently never too late. The icing on this circular cake for me was reconnecting at the Biennial with the man who is largely responsible for my involvement in Jewish life. After taking my seat to hear President Barack Obama speak, I turned around and happened to see my Hillel rabbi, the one who sent me on my trip to DC ten years prior. As I write this, I am in a place I now consider one of my homes with my (married into) family and am looking forward to calling my Grams to wish her a happy 95th birthday.


December 2021
I have no idea what the next ten years hold, but I hope I’ll be able to look back with the same awe, fondness, and gratitude as I feel for the past decade of my life.


Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and best wishes for a safe, happy, and healthy New Year!


1 comment:

Kelly Miller said...

I'm so happy for you! It sounds like the next 10 years will be awe inspiring.